Steps to Having a Double-barrel Surname

Changing your surname is a big step because you are actually changing your identity. This usually happens when people get married or get divorced. Nonetheless, there are other reasons for changing your surname, such as widowhood, security reasons, or simply because you want to have a different surname from the one you have.

Moreover, there are a lot of people who want to change their surname because they want to have a double-barrel surname. Some of them want to add their mother’s maiden name, some choose their own double-barrel surname, and some want to keep their maiden name and add their husband’s surname when getting married. Regardless of the reason you want to have a double-barrel surname, there’s a legal process you should follow in order to do that.
In fact, the process of changing your surname varies from country to country. For instance, if you are born and/or live in Scotland, you will have to change your surname according to the Scotland name change legal procedures. However, many of the general rules for changing your surname are common for all UK countries. So, let’s have a look at it.

Required Documents

In order to change your surname, you will need a Deed Poll. That is a legal document which proves your name change. But, in order to get this document, you will also need your birth certificate and your marriage certificate (if married) or a civil partnership certificate (if into a civil partnership).

Birth Certificate

Your birth certificate is a document which contains all the information about you. That includes your name and surname, your parents’ names and surnames, date, time, and place of birth, as well as other relevant information. In other world, your birth certificate is the original document of your identity. That’s why you should have it if you want to change your name.

Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate

If you want to double-barrel your surname due to getting married or into a civil partnership, you will also need your marriage or civil partnership certificate besides your birth certificate. It’s because these documents prove you have entered into a legal partnership with someone. And, if you and your partner want to double-barrel your surnames, you will both need to provide the same certificates, plus each of your Deed Polls.

Deed Poll

Once you have all the documents you need, you can apply for a Deed Poll. You can do that by enrolling your new name on public record at the Royal Courts of Justice or online. Although you have two options, most people choose the second one because it’s much simpler.

Indeed, applying for a Deed Poll online is not only easier but also saves you a lot of time and money. Hence, you don’t have to spend hours going from your home to a particular institution just to change your name. Plus, you don’t have to spend money on gas or cab. And why should you, when there’s a cheaper and more convenient option? So, it’s no wonder why people prefer this option over the other.

In order to obtain your Deed Poll, you have to apply on the website of a trusted Deed Poll provider by leaving your personal information. When ordering your Deed Poll online, it’s advisable to order at least 10 duplicate copies. These are actually same as the original, not photocopies. You need these “copies” so you can send them to the record-holders who require the original document in order to update your information. Once you do that, you need to pay for your order.

You can expect to receive your Deed Poll, along with all copies, in a few days. When you receive it, you need to sign and witness the original and the duplicate copies. When you sing all of them, someone has to witness them. The witness doesn’t have to be a legal commissioner. It can be anyone you know and knows you, is 18 or older, it’s not your relative, and it doesn’t live with you.

What’s Next?

When you are all done, you have to notify all relevant record-holders. You will probably have a list of all possible record-holders included in the envelope of your Deed Poll. Those usually are the HM Passport Office, bank(s), your doctor and other private practice owners, DVLA, and all institutions, agencies, and organizations that keep you in their records. You can do this by showing them your birth certificate, marriage/civil partnership certificate, and your Deed Poll.

As it can be noticed, changing your surname into a double-barreled it’s not so complicated as you have thought. In fact, it’s pretty simple thanks to technology and the Internet. The only thing you need to take care of is having all the required documents mentioned here.

Default image
Sarah Palmer
Hi! I'm Sarah. My husband and I have a beautiful little girl; plus we’re anxiously awaiting the arrival of Baby #2, so this is a very exciting time for us. Throughout this amazing journey called Parenthood, I’ve learned so much and love sharing my experiences with other parents at I'd love to share my discoveries with you too!
Articles: 274

Newsletter Updates

Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Physical Address

304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124